November 6, 2018
Dental implants have transformed the world of dentistry since coming on the scene back in the 1950s. Not only can implants restore functionality lost through tooth decay and gum disease, they can also enhance your self-confidence. Implants offer the same benefits as crowns, bridges and dentures without the drawbacks associated with those older forms of therapy.
Traditional Dentures Vs. Dental Implants
Dentures have been the default treatment for tooth loss since way back in the 1820s. But dentures are an imperfect solution to dental problems. Here’s why:
- Anyone who has worn dentures knows that they affect every aspect of the wearer’s lifestyle. Denture owners must avoid certain foods. They must use care when speaking, smiling, and participating in social activities.
- Dentures degrade over time, requiring time-consuming and expensive replacement.
- Dentures can contribute to bone loss. That’s because they cannot provide the same stimulation to the jaw as do natural teeth. This is probably why you may have seen a denture wearer’s facial structure change over time.
Don’t misunderstand us. We’re not saying that dentures are harmful. To the contrary; they’ve helped millions of people to live better lives. But we are saying that denture therapy has serious limitations that make modern dental implants worth considering.
Why Implants May Be the Solution You Need
Benefits of dental implants include:
- Greater self-confidence. Implants act just like your natural teeth. There’s no need to use special adhesives or sacrifice the foods you love. Implants allow you to speak, sing, dance, and participate in social interactions without worrying about your teeth causing you embarrassment.
- Implants give you back your smile. A modern dental implant is virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth. You can show the world your pearly whites once more.
- Implants are a true long-term solution. Dental implants can last from 10 years to a lifetime with reasonable care.
Dental Implants Give You Options from Which to Choose
No two people are exactly alike. A solution that works for one person may not be the best answer for someone else. That’s why your local implant dentist offers a variety of treatment options from which to choose, including these:
- Implant-supported dentures that look and function just like natural teeth. Unlike traditional dentures, this solution will never put you at risk for bone loss. Yet you can easily remove the denture plate whenever you like. It’s the best of both worlds.
- Tooth by tooth restoration. This is a great option for those who only need one or two teeth restored.
- An implant-supported “all on four” or “all on six” restoration. This approach can restore multiple teeth all at once, transforming your appearance in minimal time.
Dental implants do require that the patient’s facial structure be able to support the restoration. Bone grafts may be needed to make this possible.
The road to receiving your dental implants begins with your initial examination. Your dentist will perform a complete oral checkup, review your dental history, and discuss your options with you at that time. Make your initial appointment today and get ready for a brighter tomorrow.
About the Author
Dr. Mark D. Medaugh earned his DDS degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry. He specializes in restorative and cosmetic procedures, including smile enhancement and implant therapy. You can reach his office online or by calling (413) 323-4335.
Comments Off on How Dental Implants Can Boost Your Self-Confidence
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.